Monday, January 13, 2014

First Artwork of 2014: Abstract

Now that all of the holiday craziness is behind me and I cleaned up my work area, I've been thoroughly enjoying playing with oil pastels and abstract drawing.  Abstracts haven't ever really come that naturally to me in the past, but for some reason, right now I feel like they're flowing freely.  It almost feels like meditation because I'm clearing my mind and just doodling on a large scale.  Not allowing my brain to get in the way, I'll occasionally flip the paper when recognizable images begin to appear.  Although, at times it does feel tempting to allow the objects, creatures, and plants to evolve in a piece, and if that feels right, I'll go with it. 

I finished this one last night and am trying to decide which direction it should go.  I think I prefer the vertical direction, but I keep going back to horizontal.

 The drawing above was my first abstract of 2014.
 The drawings above and below are both unfinished in these shots.  I am in the process of incorporating them into collages with mixed papers. 

No comments: